The School of Hope is a place of learning where we value HOPE FAMILY TRANSFORMATION RESPONSIBILITY AND GIVING. We are education-junkies, sold out to breaking the cycle of crime, poverty and unemployment by giving every person the chance to complete their education. There is nothing more important that we can do for South Africa today! www.thembalitsha.org.za

Monday, July 1, 2013

Meet Destino Nzonzidi, a Man with a Destiny

My first time visiting School of Hope after I arrived in South Africa, I had the privilege of meeting a remarkable young man by the name of Destino Nzonzidi from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  I was blown away by how he overcame the odds stacked against him.


This is Destino’s Story

My name is Destino Nzonzidi.  I came to South Africa from DRC (Democratic Republic of the Congo) in 2008.  I was playing for the national soccer team in Zambia in grade 12.  We lost games in a tournament and couldn’t go home because the fans were waiting to beat us when I arrived.  We feared for our lives.

My aunt told me I needed to go back to school, so I decided to do that instead of pursuing a professional soccer career in South Africa.  I tried looking at alternative schools to finish my education starting at grade twelve and was placed in grade eight because my first language is French and I couldn’t speak English very well.

When I started at grade eight in 2009, I failed.  I tried again in 2010 and failed once again.  Someone suggested I go to English school.  I did that for two months and when I finished, I came to School of Hope in 2011 and they enrolled me in grade eleven!

I am a Christian and have always been one, even in DR Congo.  In addition to the teaching, we have devotions every morning at School of Hope and it helps me know how to deal with the day-to-day problems that come my way and remind me of who I am as a person.

Is there a particular person that went out of their way for you at School of Hope?
One person that greatly influenced me was a School of Hope volunteer from England, Andy Lee, who also spoke French.  He helped me when I had difficulty understanding English and would translate for me.  My marks improved and even though I’d failed grade eight in another school, I was able to pass grade eleven with Andy’s tutelage.

What do you plan to do after you graduate?
From here, I am pursuing a degree for three years and after that I am willing to do my master and doctoral in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and at same time continue to run the political program I am running now.

What do you see yourself doing in the future?
I see myself in the senate and as the future president of DR Congo, fighting for equality, peace and love for the whole continent of Africa:
- Equality for all of Africa in economical, politics and social classes, whichever race you are.
- Peace for all of Africa, and to let the whole world know that Africa is the home of war.
- And to love one other as Africans, love our visitors, love our nations.

Additionally, I see myself participating in organisations helping youth, like people have helped me.

What is the one thing that School of Hope did for you that stands out most?
They gave me knowledge.  I lost hope that I would graduate, but School of Hope gave me hope and I started believing in myself.  No matter what I am going through now and however big my goals are, I am able to achieve them.


No comments:

Post a Comment